Jim's home | HPV home | This bike's home
Prev | Next
Yesterday I went to the Seattle Bike Swap Meet. There was a TON of stuff there, and I got a rear shock spring that works perfectly (finally) for the suspension. I needed some seat post binder bolt braze ons, which normally sell for a buck a piece, but I found a whole box of stems for a buck each, and many stems had two binder bolt braze ons each. I bought six.
In the attempt to fix the right front seat frame tab interfering with the chainline, I cut ofr the tab and made a new one. Ernie Leimkuhler a welder, instructor, fabricator and machinist who owns Stagesmith Productions in Renton, WA TIG welded the new tab on the seat frame. He did a very nice job. My seat frame now has asymetric mounting tabs. This required modifying the seat mounting bracket to match the new tab position.
The new tab I made that Ernie TIG welded on.
This photo shows the new asymetric tab position.
And here's the modified seat mounting bracket, also asymetric to match the seat frame tabs.
The bracket cleaned up and mounted on the bike.
In the spirit of redoing work at least once, I decided that the rear seat strut outer tube was too long, and would limit the recline-ability of the seat. I cut off the top couple of inches of it, and brazed on a lug I bought at the swap meet. This photo shows the lug before brazing.
And the strut after brazing, mounted on the bike. Note the void where the top tube normally joins the seat cluster.
Here's the top of the rear seat strut inner tube just after brazing on the seatpost binder bolt braze-ons, and cutting it in half. This'll clamp onto the horizontal tube of the seat frame's back.
A view from above of the rear seat strut assembly.
The new-new spring, and a sealed bearing pulley, also from the swap meet.
Prev | Next