Jim's home | Trimaran home | Best Guess home

Sail camping on Tivoli Island in Lake ozette

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3

I've been building a 17 foot trimaran sailboat for almost two years as of this writing. We launched it for the first time in early August at the marina in Kingston, WA. It sailed well and was comfortable, but needed a few modifications. After making those mods we took it on this camping trip to Tivoli Island. For years I've wanted to sail to Tivoli Island and camp. The lake is about 8 miles long from north to south and about 5 miles wide. A ranger station at the north end of the lake serves as a gateway to the coast with a couple of very popular hiking trails to the coast. There's also a trail to the coast on the west side of the island just south of Ericson's bay, which is only accessible by water.

The marine forecast was calling for 10 to 15 mph winds out of the north for the 3 days that we planned to be there, with 10 to 20 mph windows in late evening on our second day. No precipitation was forecast, so these seemed like ideal conditions. Indeed, we had favorable winds the whole time. Our boat was heavily loaded coming to and from the island. Four guys plus lots of camping gear. This included me (Jim Gallant), my sons Max and Evan, and Frank Kaplan. Paul Gallager joined us via sea kayak after we reached the island. Despite the heavy load, the boat sailed well and safely.

Lake Ozette has two boat launch ramps. Swan Bay on the east side, and the one near the ranger station at the north end. Here are Max and Evan setting the boat up at the north ramp.

Frank, Max and Evan.

It only takes about a half an hour to set the boat up, and it's easy to launch with the modified jet ski trailer.

The two large and deep cargo holds were packed full.

Once under way we had light winds with a dead downwind run to the island. Little effort was required to make good headway. We sailed wing and wing for much of this distance. Note the comfortable fabric sling seat and the chilled microbrew in Frank's hand.

Max by the daggerboard, which is in the "up" position.

Heading south.

My drink holders worked famously.

Tivoli Island dead ahead.

Beached on Tivoli Island. I thought I read something about a campground on the south side of the island, so we went around the west side, then the south side, and found that the main campsite was on the north side. With the north wind we ended up on a broad reach from the east headed towards the landing site. The wind was up to a good 15 mph at the time, and we forgot to pull the daggerboard up. There was a bit of a crunching noise when we hit the beach, and the only damage sustaind were a dent at the front and back of the dagger board. The dagger board slot is elaborately reinforced for just this occasion.

Paul showed up not to long after we landed. He had a semi-perilous journey from the Swan Bay boat launch ramp due to the strong winds and swells.


It was a bit chilly in the evenings due to the north winds. We had a decent campsite the first night. Sandy beach, fire pit, good places for tents.

Group shot with the boat.

Group shot 2.

An umbrella serving as a spinnaker for the kayak.

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3